International Student

  • Studying at ÉNA
  • Steps in the application process
  • Preparing your arrival
  • Costs and scholarships
  • Contact us

Studying at Éna

A passion for aviation Aircraft Maintenance Student life Avionique (French) Génie aérospatial (French)
Discover more videos on Youtube! 


The School


ÉNA is a school affiliated with the Cégep Édouard-Montpetit, one of the biggest college in Quebec. ÉNA can accommodate approximately 1 300 students a year for regular full-time programs and several hundred technicians in continuing education. Its programs in aeronautical technology are recognized by Transport Canada. Furthermore, thanks to an agreement with the (Wallonie Aerotraining Network) Centre de compétences Wallonie Aerotraining Network (WAN), a training and evaluation centre in Belgium, ÉNA can offer students the opportunity to take the EASA PART-66 theoretical exams in order to obtain an aeronautical technician's licence under the EASA PART-147 European certification norms of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).

The École Nationale d'Aérotechnique (ÉNA) is a leader in terms of technical training in aerospace technology in North America. It is located near Montreal in the St-Hubert airport zone, close to many aeronautical businesses.

ÉNA has five hangars and a fleet of 37 aircraft, 26 airplanes and 11 helicopters, and is equipped with modern installations that include over 35 laboratories and specialized workshops. Not only does ENA offer training where theory and practice go hand in hand, but it offers its students the opportunity to register for a work-study program and to have access to internships in the workplace, both in Canada and in other countries. This work-study program allows a student to work at a paid internship varying from 12 to 16 weeks long in an aerospace business, starting in his 4th term. There is a second internship later in the training program. Although these internships can extend the duration of the study program by a year, this work experience is incomparable and extremely useful. 


A dynamic student life!


One of the best ways to do well in school and to make friends in college is definitely to participate in the numerous events and activities offered at ÉNA. In fact, on the human level, the school offers a very stimulating environment where school spirit is strong.

Not only does ÉNA welcome more and more students from other countries, but it attracts hundreds of young people every year from different regions of Quebec; they too find themselves in an environment that was, until their arrival, completely new and unknown to them. In order to make friends, develop a social network and take full advantage of their stay at ÉNA, active participation in student life is not only encouraged but constitutes a factor in academic success.


To find out more about the many student activities at ÉNA, click here. (in French)

To see the list of all the services offered to students at ÉNA, click here.

A video explaining the activity and showing the local finals of "Science, on tourne!"

Each program at ÉNA has specific admission requirements. To find out more, consult the section related to the program that interests you. 

To apply for admission to ÉNA, consult the website of the Montreal regional admission service: Service régional d’admission du Montréal métropolitain (SRAM)

Although it is possible for an international student to apply at any time, we strongly encourage those students who are interested in the programs at ÉNA to apply at least five months before the beginning of the term.


Perspectives for the future


Each program at ENA offers an excellent job placement rate and stimulating perspectives for the future. Once you have your diploma, you will have access to the job market in your specific field, or you can continue studying at university.


How are ÉNA and cégep Édouard-Montpetit different?


They aren’t really. ÉNA is school affiliated with the cégep Édouard-Montpetit and is located in the neighbouring town of St. Hubert.


Can foreign education or experience be recognized? 


Yes. Certain courses may be credited. This is one reason it is important to meet with your Academic Advisor (API) when you arrive at ÉNA. Your academic advisor will be able to make an assessment then determine with you what courses can be credited. Recognition of certain courses does not shorten the length of the program. It will, however, lighten your course load.


How long is the program?


ÉNA’s technical programs take three years or six semesters to complete. Please note that it is important to ask for a study permit that covers the entire length of the program.

In addition to theory and practical training, ÉNA provides students with the opportunity to enrol in a Work/Study program that gives access to substantial workplace experience in Canada or another country. The option of alternating between periods of work and study means 4th semester students are able to benefit from a paid 8-16 week internship in an aerospace company either in Quebec or abroad. A second internship is planned for a later semester. Note the work/study option adds a year to the program (4 years).

However, this unmatched experience in the workplace can be very important. In addition to being paid, you will not only be able to practice what you have learned, develop a professional network, but also confirm your choice of your career as it corresponds to your needs and interests. At the same time, a work/study program provides a source of income while in school




Yes. However, in Quebec work/study programs (WSP) are optional, involving two full time work periods of between 8 and 16 weeks each. Work is in Quebec or foreign aerospace companies.

Foreign students enrolled in the work/study program are nevertheless required to obtain a work as a co-op student or intern permis. The three programs given at ÉNA are available as a work/study option. For further information, visit the site below (in French only):


How to arrange for the SRAM to carry out a comparative evaluation of studies?
If the language of instruction is my everyday language, although not my mother tongue, must I take a language test ? 


If the language of instruction for th program is English, any student who has not done his secondary schooling in English must take an English test in his own country.

Here are the accepted English tests and the required scores : 

  • TOEFL - IBT ou PBT : online version: 80; Components Writing et reading: 24
  • IELTS Academic : 6.5

If the language of instruction for the program is French, any student who has not done his secondary schooling in French must take an French test in his own country. For more details, see the Fench version of the website. 


If I fail the language test, can I remain enrolled?


If you fail the language test, your admission will be withdrawn. You will have to improve your level of proficiency and re-apply. 


Steps in the application process

Although an international student can apply to the Cégep at any time, we strongly encourage students who are interested in the programs at ENA to apply at least five months before the beginning of their studies.

The following is a summary of the different steps necessary to be accepted in one of our three technical programs.


1. Choose from one of the three technical programs;


2. After you decide which program will best suit your career plans, you must complete an application form and submit your application, on line, to the Service régional d'admission du Montréal métropolitain (SRAM).  To do this, click here. Note that certain documents will be required by SRAM to complete your file, such as :

  • the application form
  • a transcript of your grades from the last three years of study, certified in French
  • a copy of the diploma(s) which correspond to these transcripts, certified in French
  • a birth certificate indicating the names of both your parents as well as your place of birth, certified in French
  • a document which shows your academic progress (if required)
  • a certified cheque or an international postal or bank money order for $85 made out to SRAM.

If your documents are not in French, please send an official translation in French or English.


3. If you are accepted for the program, you will receive your admission letter by email. Then, you will also receive, by email, the progress of your registration and a checklist which will help you through the process of obtaining your official papers until you start your classes.

Please note that the letter of admission does not allow you to study in Quebec. You must first obtain the Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies and then a  Stage Coop work permit. For more information on these two documents, please consult the section « Preparing for Your Arrival ».

Preparing your arrival

Obtaining a CAQ and a Study Permit


Once you have received your letter of admission, the following documents are required:

1.  A Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies is issued by the Quebec Ministry of Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec. We strongly recommend that you apply for this document by Internet in order to speed up the process as it generally takes less time this way. The form you must complete is at this site:

The CAQ must be valid, must apply to college-level (cégep) studies and cover the full length of your program of studies.

2.  As soon as you have received your CAQ, you must begin the application procedures for your study permit by applying to the Canadian embassy or the Canadian visa office which takes care of such permits in your country, with your letter of admission. You can consult the Canadian visa offices where you must apply by clicking here.

We recommend that you apply for your study permit by Internet in order to speed up the application process. The application form can be found at this site:

  • The CAQ must be valid, must apply to college (cégep)-level studies and cover the full length of your program of studies.
  • The Stage Coop work permit must be valid for the entire duration of your program of study.

A Temporary Resident Visa may also be required for certain countries. Consult the list of countries and territories that require a visa.

These travel documents, required to enter and remain in Canada, must be obtained before your arrival in Canada and are usually issued only for full-time studies. You must begin the application process as soon as you receive your acceptance letter from the Cégep.

To obtain the Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies and his licence of studies, the student has to conform to the measures of the Canadian legislation authorizing the entry of the foreign students on the territory. He will have to demonstrate in particular his financial capacity to earn a living during his stay of studies in Canada.

IMPORTANT NOTE - Students who ended their education in high school must beforehand obtain a Quebec acceptance certificate (CAQ) for college-level studies, as well as a Post-secondary Study Permit to be able to study at the college level.


Obligatory Health Insurance


International students are required to participate in the health insurance and hospitalization plan of the academic institution where they are studying. The insurance plan at Édouard-Montpetit is available to international students. International students have to pay for this insurance.

Students from France must show proof of their participation in the Quebec health insurance plan at the Registrar's office (Organisation scolaire) at ÉNA upon their arrival at the cégep in order to be exempted from health insurance plan for foreign students.

Students will receive all the necessary information on health insurance in the registration procedure which will accompany their letter of admission.

For more information on the obligatory health insurance and hospitalization plan, go to the of the Fédération des cégeps.

For citizens from one of these countries: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania or Sweden.

Because of an agreement between Quebec and these countries, you can participate in the Quebec Health Insurance Plan (RAMQ). You will need the following documents before you apply at the RAMQ office.

  1. Registration form SE401-Q-102  This form is not available on line and can be obtained only at an RAMQ office in Quebec. – IMPORTANT NOTE – BEFORE LEAVING YOUR COUNTRY – You must visit the social security office of your country to obtain proof of insurance or a certificate of affiliation with the health plan of your country.
  2. The Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies
  3. An attestation of full-time enrolment in  our College - IMPORTANT NOTE - You must apply through the person responsible for your international student file as soon as you know your Quebec address.
  4. Proof of your nationality (your passport)
  5. For more information, visit this site

Once you have all your documents, visit the office of the Québec Health Insurance Plan (RAMQ) during office hours to register for health insurance. The office is located at 425 De Maisonneuve Boulevard West, on the 4th floor, office 401. 

IMPORTANT NOTE - Students arriving in mid-August must make an appointment. They may do so on line, on the MiDi site. 


Planning your Budget


For more information, go on « costs and scholarships » tab. 


Arriving in Montreal



The Accueil Plus service is for all new international students who are coming to study at a Quebec college or university. This service offers new students personalized assistance that will simplify their arrival at Montreal-Trudeau Airport.

In fact, the Accueil Plus Service can help facilitate your process with customs and immigration services as well as integration. Students who are registered and who must pick up their study permit and a Stage Coop work permit at the airport will spend less time waiting at the border. For these reasons, it is important to register at Accueil Plus and confirm your arrival date.

As soon as you arrive at the airport, you should go to the Accueil Plus booth. The Accueil Plus booth is usually located in the arrival hall for international flights and is open from 10:00 to midnight.

To be registred or to obtain more information about Accueil Plus Service, consult:




While you are waiting for further information, consult the section on Housing on the website of Cégep Édouard-Montpetit, of which ÉNA is a part (in French only).


Winter clothing


One of the characteristics of Quebec's climate is that the seasons are quite different. The temperatures can be higher than 30°C in the summer and go down below -25°C in the winter.

The winter season lasts from about mid-November to the end of March. You should buy appropriate winter clothing (a coat, boots, a hat, mittens etc) to protect yourself from the cold.

You can buy winter clothing in any large department store such as Walmart, Sears, and La Baie, or at any outdoor sports store such as Sports Experts, Atmosphère, or La Cordée.

Average monthly temperatures in Quebec and Montreal

In the near future, you will find information on this site about:

Canadian norms (electric, heating devices, telephone services, etc.)

In Quebec, the electric devices work with the current of 110 V.

In the meantime, we suggest you contact us at for any information

Schedule of Classes and Attendance 


At the college level, students are allowed a large degree of autonomy. You are therefore responsible for getting your schedule of courses before the beginning of the term, as explained in the calendar that will be sent to you. You are also responsible for attending each of your classes, at the times and in the classrooms or labs that are indicated in the schedule. If you miss too many classes, you could fail.

The details are available in the College’s institutional policy for the evaluation of student achievement (IPESA). 


Public Transit System


The best way to get around in the greater Montreal region is without a doubt public transportation. The Montreal transit system, le STM (Société de transport de Montréal), has a bus and subway system or metro that covers the island of Montreal, and the Longueuil transit system, la RTL (Réseau de transport de Longueuil), has a bus network that allows passengers to get from Longueuil to St-Hubert (where the school is located) easily.

Students can buy monthly passes, available at a special student rate, that will give them unlimited access to public transit. To do this, a student must get an OPUS card by showing proof of residence in Quebec and an identification card that shows he is younger than 25.

If you are eligible for the student rate, the application form will appear directly in your OMNIVOX account. Take this form to any metro (subway) station.

The OPUS card is a smart card which can be “recharged” at any metro station as well as in many drug stores, convenience stores, and in the COOP (the College book and stationery store).

The exact fare is required in buses.

On the STM website, you can also find a trip planner, Society in Motion, which will help you find your way around Montreal.

Tips and Taxes


The tip is never included in bar and restaurant bills. A tip of approximately 15% of the bill (before taxes) is generally considered acceptable. For example, it’s a good idea to leave at least the equivalent of the total amount of the taxes that appear on the bill.

You will also notice that the prices displayed in stores do not include taxes. You must add the GST (federal tax of 5%) and then the TVQ (Quebec provincial sales tax of 9.975%) to the sub-total.


Nearby Tourist Attractions


Because ÉNA is situated in the greater Montreal region, it is close to several tourist attractions as well as different festivals that take place throughout the year. Here are some of the tourist attractions in the Montreal region and on the South Shore of Montreal:

La Ronde (amusement park)

Montreal Science Centre and IMAX

Montreal's Old Port

Montreal's Olympic Stadium and its tower

Montreal Insectarium

Montreal's botanical jardins

Montreal Biodôme

Mount Royal

Centre Bell (for shows and Montreal Canadians' hockey games)

Saputo Stadium (for Montreal Impact' foot games)

Laval Cosmodôme

Parc national des Îles de Boucherville (park for picnics, cycling, walking, etc.)

Parc national du Mont-Saint-Bruno (hiking, snow-shoeing, cycling)

Montreal Planetarium

To know about other tourist attractions in Montreal, click here.

To know about the different festivals that take place in Montreal throughout the year, click here.


Can I work while I am studying? How do I obtain a work permit?


There are two possible options:

Work on-campus:

Full-time foreign students are allowed to work without a work permit on the campus of the institution at which they are enrolled. To learn about on-campus job opportunities, get in touch with Student Services (Direction des affaires étudiantes et communautaires - DAÉC). Please note that job opportunities are limited and that DAÉC has several hiring criteria, for example, passing grades.

Work off-campus:

Since June 1st, 2014, study permits delivered will automatically authorize the holder to work part-time off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit.

If your study permits has been delivered before June 1st, 2014, foreign students need to apply for a separate off-campus work permit and meet certain criteria to be able to work off-campus:

have a valid study permit;

be enrolled full-time in a program at ÉNA;

have been a full-time student for at least six of the twelve moths preceding the date of the work permit application;

have a satisfactory academic standing.

Apply for an off-campus work permit:

Please note that the cost of the permit is $150 CAD and that the student must also apply for a Social Security Number (SIN): 


costs and scholarships

Planning your budget


Plan a sufficient budget

The Guide for New Students contains a lot of useful information. Click here to see it.

The following sample budget, in Canadian dollars, is based on the lifestyle of an average student. The amounts may be higher or lower in reality, according to the individual. Note that, in order to issue a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies, the government of Quebec requires proof of financial resources to cover living expenses during the complete stay, in the amount of $12 062 per person per year.

The amounts below indicate the financial resources necessary for the first year of studies in Quebec, for a period of twelve months.

  • Application to the Service régional d’admission du Montréal métropolitain (SRAM): $85
  • Application for the Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies$112
  • Application for a Temporary Resident Permit for Canada: $150
  • Obligatory health and hospitalization insurance: $936
  • Tuition fees: $15,846 (This amount does not cover the additional course fees for Continuing Education, if applicable.)
  • Related fees (can vary): $420
  • Books and academic material (vary according to program): $500-$1,000
  • Housing (according to the minimum monthly rate of a shared apartment): $4,200
  • Food at a cost of $70 per week: $3,640
  • Winter clothes (can vary depending on needs): $1,000
  • Transportation: $1,380
  • Miscellaneous (laundry, telephone, Internet, furniture etc.): $700
  • Social and sports activities (cinema, museums, outings, etc.): $1,500

Typical budget: $30,469 to $30,969



Bursaries and Financial Aid


Check to see if you are eligible for financial aid. You should inquire at the Ministry of Education of your country about the possibility of a bursary. You can also consult the Canadian Embassy in your country.         

Organizations which can also offer bursaries:


Program of the exemptions of additional rights of schooling for Colleges foreigner students

The Ministère de l'Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur, attributed annualy to college network a quota of 235 exemptions of due additional right of schooling  for the foreign students.

The objective of the program:

This program aims to increase the number of foreign students registered in a technical program to obtain the Diploma of College Studies (DCS).

Some exemptions are intended for students, stemming from any country where apply the additional rights of schooling, full-time subscribers in a program leading to technical diploma. To be eligible to the exemption, the student must satisfy all the requirements allowing him(her) to obtain DCS in the term of his stay of studies in Quebec.

However, the eligibility of the student for an exemption of additional rights of schooling is not based on the duration of his stay in Quebec, but on the satisfaction of all the requirements relative to the obtaining of DCS.  The student can benefit from an exemption for period 3-year-old subordinate, in as much as he aims at the obtaining of DCS at the end of his stay.

Further Information:

A student can possibly benefit from an exemption for the normal duration of a technical program, three years. The exemption is maintained during the duration of its program, the student has to obtain results demonstrating his success at school.

The profitable student of the exemption has to pay all the other expenses such as they are applied to Quebec students as well as the fees of the collective regime of health insurance and hospitalization of the international students of colleges.

The goal of this measure is to increase the number of foreign students in the college network. Fédération des cégeps, fiduciary manager of the program, will privilege the students recently admitted during the attribution of the exemptions.


Payment and Tuition Fees


International students must pay $7,923 per term and participate in the Cégep's health insurance plan. These fees cover school year to come and may be modified from one year to another by the Ministère de l'Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur.

Please note that an agreement between France and Quebec allows French students to have a Quebec health insurance (RAMQ) card for the duration of their stay here as well as an exemption from tuition fees during their stay here. However, they must show proof of their health insurance to the Registrar at ÉNA as soon as they arrive.

Fees must be paid by the deadline written on your account statement through the ``Centre de paiement`` module on Omnivox.

For more information, please contact:



Contact us 


5555, rue de l'ÉNA

Saint-Hubert (Québec)  

J3Y 8Y9

Téléphone :  450 678-3561

Télécopieur :  450 678-3240

Plan du site
© Cégep Édouard-Montpetit, 945 chemin de Chambly, Longueuil
450 679-2631
Création du site web MG2 Media | Connexion